Identification of the intervention of the 11th EDF for the WASH sector in Sao Tome and Principe (2014-2020)
Support to the Government of Sao Tome and Principe and the EU Delegation in identifying the best intervention in water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) to be carried out in the period 2014-2020, with funding from the 11nd European Development Fund (EDF).
The intervention was comprised of the following areas:
- Support to the sector’s governance;
- Education, training and awareness;
- Increased access to sanitation services adequate for peri-urban areas and rural populations;
- Management of water resources.
Main tasks included:
1) Collection and analysis of key documentation;
2) Analysis of the institutional framework, the technical and financial capacity of the water and energy utility, the social and economic context, the levels of service provision and tariffs, donor coordination, strategies and action plans, progress achieved and planned interventions;
3) Defining a strategic approach for EU intervention, in line with national priorities;
4) Making proposals of actions/measures to integrate the 11th EDF, including general and specific objectives, results, activities, targets and indicators, financial needs and risks;
5) Environmental, economic and social impact assessment of the proposed intervention.