Report on activities undertaken by the European Community in support of the African Region in the implementation of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification
The objective of the project was to review the policies, the financial instruments and the projects of the European Commission (EC) which have contributed and support the sustainable management activities' of the dry areas in Africa, during the period from January 2000 to December 2003.
The report comprised qualitative and quantitative information concerning several key aspects /indicators, for example:
• Combating desertification, land degradation and erosion;
• Sustainable land use management including water, soil and vegetation in affected areas;
• Sustainable land use and management of rangelands;
• Development of sustainable agricultural and ranching production systems
• Development of new and renewable energy sources;
• Launching of reforestation/afforestation programmes and intensification of soil conservation programmes;
• Development of early warning systems for food security and drought forecasting;
• Desertification monitoring and assessment;
• Desertification/Sustainable land management and poverty reduction.
Transport, Environment and Energy